We are searching for a C++ Software Developer / Electrical Engineer for the design and development of an automated kite power system.
Since January 2010 the research group is testing and further developing a 20 kW technology demonstrator which consists of two separate subsystems: the kite and its control unit and the ground station/generator. Most parts of the system are currently operated manually. The goal for the next 1.5 years is to integrate both subsystems and to fully automate the power production cycle. As part of this activity we are looking for a C++ Software Developer / Electrical Engineer. Together with our electrical engineer you will be responsible for the design, development and implementation of the integrated system. You will be supported by several master students and a student assistant. The system consists of three laptops and two embedded computers. These computers communicate via a network that uses several protocols such as LAN, CAN and wireless.
The following software components have to be developed:
- EtherCAT hardware drivers for the Orocos framework (www.orocos.org)
- Real-time controllers as Orocos components
- A GUI based on the QT-framework
- Central data logging
Applicants should have the following qualifications:
- MSc degree in software development or electrical engineering (or BSc with equivalent experience)
- Good knowledge of C++ programming
- At least one year full-time programming experience in C++ programming (or relevant participation in open source projects)
- Good knowledge of the QT framework
- Good knowledge of working with Linux
- Basic knowledge of control engineering
- Good communication skills in English, both verbal and written
- Good teamwork skills
- Ability to work independently
In addition, knowledge of electronics development is desirable.
Conditions of employment:
TU Delft offers an attractive benefits package, including a flexible work week, free high-speed Internet access from home, and the option of assembling a customised compensation and benefits package (the 'IKA'). Salary and benefits are in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities.
Information and application:
The position is available as of now. We are offering a 1 year contract on the basis of 38 hours per week. The salary range is €2379 to €3755 per month gross (for applicants from outside the Netherlands the 30% tax ruling might apply - this has to be checked on an individual basis).
For more information about this position, please contact
Dr.-Ing. Roland Schmehl
Delft University of Technology
Faculty of Aerospace Engineering / ASSET Institute
2629 HS Delft
Tel: +31 15 278 5318
To apply, please e-mail a detailed CV along with a letter of application by 19 August 2011 to Dr.-Ing. Roland Schmehl using the E-mail address
. When applying for this position, please refer to vacancy number 3ME11-13.
Link to the official vacancy notice.
Back to top